Being the holder of a green card can open many doors for you and your family. Below, our New York immigration team covers the process of obtaining a green card, who is eligible to apply for one, and tips that will increase your chances of getting one.
Benefits of Being a Green Card Holder
A green card, previously known as a permanent resident card, is issued to foreign nationals by the Citizenship and Immigration Service. Green cards are highly sought out and a significant step towards gaining citizenship in the U.S. Green Card holders are provided with various benefits such as;
- Ability to sponsor relatives for visas
- You cannot be deported to your country of origin
- A green card enables you to travel in and out of the U.S. more easily
- Eligibility for local college tuition
- You can renew a green card every ten years.
Who Is Eligible for a Green Card
The United States Immigration and Citizenship Services (USCIS) states that you must be eligible under one of the categories provided. One can obtain a green card through a family member, employment, or more extreme examples like being a refugee or victim of crime. Seeking the expertise of an immigration attorney is key to making sure you apply under the correct category and fulfill the needed requirements.
Tips to Get a Green Card
- Make sure all your documents and forms are correct and in order. Applying for a visa you are not eligible for, submitting incorrect information will cost you time and money.
- If you do not fall under an eligibility category such as a family sponsor or employment, consider applying for the Green Card Lottery. The U.S. Department of State gives 55,000 Green Cards gives away every year. Even though luck is needed, it is the simplest way to get a green card.
- Hire an immigration attorney to guide you through the application process and prepare you for the interview.
Get in Touch with Our Team Today
Applying for a green card isn't always easy for anyone. Immigration law is complicated, and the paperwork can be tough to deal with. With a combined 20 years of experience in immigration law, we make the green card application process smooth and efficient. We are committed to providing our clients with the help they need to reach their goals.
To learn more about how you can sponsor one of your employees, don't hesitate to contact us today through our online contact form, or give us a call at (212) 390-1024 today!