woman doing work for her small business

3 Visas for Starting a Business in the United States

Option One: The EB-5 Visa

The EB-5 visa is a visa that allows foreign nationals to invest in a U.S.-based business and receive permanent residency status in the United States. Congress created the EB-5 visa program in 1990 as a way to attract foreign capital and create jobs in the United States. Since then, it has become an increasingly popular path to U.S. residency, especially for high-net-worth individuals from countries with strict immigration laws.

To qualify for an EB-5 visa, an individual must invest at least $1 million (or $500,000 if investing in a designated high-unemployment or rural area) in a new commercial enterprise that creates several full-time jobs for U.S. workers.

Option Two: The L-1 Visa

The L-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows companies to transfer employees from foreign offices to offices in the U.S. To qualify for an L-1 visa, the employee must have been employed by the company for at least one year within the three years preceding the application. The employee must also be transferring to the U.S. to assume a managerial or executive position or perform work requiring specialized knowledge. If you are an employer interested in applying for an L-1 visa for one of your employees, or an employee who has been offered a transfer to the United States, it is important to consult with an experienced immigration attorney to ensure that you meet all of the requirements.

Option Three: The E-2 Visa

The E-2 visa is a popular choice for foreign entrepreneurs looking to start or expand a business in the United States. This visa allows the holder to live and work in the U.S. for an extended period of time and also provides a path to permanent residency.

To qualify for an E-2 visa, the applicant must invest significant capital in a new or existing business. The business must also be operational and must have the potential to generate substantial income. In addition, the applicant must have a significant stake in the business and must be able to demonstrate their ability to manage it.

NYC Immigration Attorneys

There are a variety of visas available, each with different requirements and restrictions. The best way to ensure that you are applying for the right visa is to contact an immigration attorney. Our team at J & K Law can help you determine which visa is correct for your needs and help you throughout the legal process. We are passionate about making our clients’ dreams realities! Give us a call today: (212) 390-1024.